Search This Blog

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Review - Celestron UHC/LPR Filter 94123

                              The Celestron UHC/LPR Filter is a filter generally used for deep sky objects such as Galaxies, or Nebulae.UHC stands for Ultra High Contrast if I am not mistaken, and LPR stands for Light Pollution Reduction.Essentially this filter will block unwanted wavelengths of light, while adding contrast to deep sky objects.
                              The filter is constructed of the right materials, a metal ring, with glass filter, and has the Celestron logo as well as the filter type painted on the ring.The filter comes in a square sliding box, with is sort of standard.Sometimes filter come in round cases, sometimes square, I personally prefer round, they fit in my carrying cases better.It is priced quite conservatively, the 1.25 is $59.99.I have seen others priced at $89.99 for the 1.25.
                              The filter performs very well, giving the target a slight blue color, and much more contrast than just using the eyepiece alone.Most dimmer nearby stars will be blacked out with the rest of the background, any washing of the sky caused by light pollution is greatly reduced with this filter.The downside to a filter like this is that you will need a large scope, or at least a large eyepiece such as a 32mm in order for the filter to be very useful, due to the darkening effect.I have a 127mm that it works quite well with using a 20mm or larger, on my 15 mm it is just a bit dim in my backyard.The 15mm is fine in a dark site situation.
                               I am pretty happy with the filter, it is made well and does what it is supposed to do.I also did not need to break the bank to get it.I would recommend this filter who wants a good UHC/LPR filter, and does not have alot to spend on one.Thanks for reading.



                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, only relevant comments.Thank You