Search This Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review - Celestron Motor Drive 93514 for EQ Astromaster and Powerseeker Models

                               I purchased Celestron Motor Drive for the Powerseeker 127EQ Telescope a while ago, this review was original written for my old blog.The installation process was very easy and took around 10 minutes, from start to finish, and I read the entire instruction page.Celestron included an allen(Hex) wrench, and a phillips head screwdriver, but no flathead which is also required for the installation.I wonder why they go through the trouble of included only two of the three tools required, but most people have a flathead screwdriver.
                               I have spent the last few days testing the drive.The tracking is tricky to get set accurately, but after a few minutes I was able to stabilize.This is something i have found easier each time I have used the drive.The construction of the drive seems very solid, but it is not very heavy, and does not add any weight to the telescope.I have used the drive for around eight hours, and the battery that was included still has juice.Though it is not specified in the instructions, I would not suggest using the RA slow motion cable while the motor drive is attached, as I feel it may strip the internal gears.
                              Overall I am very pleased with my purchase, and would recommend this product to anyone with a Celestron Astromaster/Powerseeker telescope interested in tracking.I have added an image of Jupiter that I captured on August 26th, 2011 at around 2:00am.I used registax to process the raw video, and was surprised to find three moons had shown through.I believe they are from left to right - Ganymede, Io, and Europa.I am sure that the ability to track, and capture many times more frames than before is the reason for this.Next week I plan to modify my Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 for long exposures, in the hopes that I may be able to capture galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae.I will write a review on this as well, and show where to find the instructions for such an endeavor.Here is the Jupiter image, and as always, thanks for reading.



                       Sorry this one is a bit blurry, it was dark in this room so i needed a longer exposure and I was a bit shaky.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, only relevant comments.Thank You