Search This Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review - Celestron Powerseeker 127eq Newtonian Reflector 21049

                                 I wrote this review two and a half years ago for my original blog, before starting the Black Cricket Observatory Project, and thought I would add it, and other reviews to this blog considering the old one will soon be taken down.I hope they are helpful to some first time buyers.
                                 I chose this model for my first quality scope for three reasons, reasonable price per aperture size(127mm/5in.), included a 3X barlow lens, and Celestron is a established optics brand for 50 years.
                                 The Celestron Powerseeker 127eq telescope comes packaged with tripod, mounts, 20mm/4mm/3X barlow lenses, software, and instruction booklet.I purchased mine from Amazon, and recieved it in perfect condition.I had the entire telescope assembled in 20 minutes, with help from an online video to be safe(found on Celestron.com).I will say for the setup of a new Newtonian Reflector, you should purchase a collimation tool of some type, laser collimation tools are the most accurate.
                                 I have not purchased a tool yet, so I built a homemade on and have managed to get the collimation close.Once set up the scope weighs around 30 lbs., but is pretty easy to just pick up and move.The very first night I was stunned to look at Saturn through it, the quality of the optics is exceptional for the low price.The included 3X barlow lens is a lower quality lens, but almost all other comparable telescopes do not include a barlow lens.I also think the 4mm lens is a fairly useful lens, I have managed to get a good focused look at Saturn using the 4mm with the 3X barlow, though with some abberation, and my scope is still a bit out of collimation.Many others have complained about this eyepiece, I wonder if there scope may have needed collimated.
                                 You will need to align the finderscope with the main scope, but this is simple to do.The Celestron Powerseeker 127eq is a quality scope for a tight budget, with a rarely included barlow lens, constructed solid, and looks good to boot.I would definately recommend this scope to anyone looking for a powerful starter scope.Thanks for reading



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, only relevant comments.Thank You